Get Your Free Estimate
Outlet & Light Switch Replacement
Electrical outlet replacement is a job that some homeowners may not feel comfortable doing themselves. The fact is, though outlet or switch replacement is a relatively straightforward job, dealing with your home’s electrical wiring is intimidating for a reason. The threat of shock and the future threat of fire are both pretty scary, and doing this task improperly can have serious consequences. This job can certainly be done by a do-it-yourselfer, but if you’re not sure what you are doing, it is usually best left to an expert.
If your electrical outlets are old, warped, damaged, or malfunctioning, it may be time to replace them. Old outlets wear out over time, diminishing their effectiveness or even putting you in danger. Upgraded outlets prevent that danger and make your home’s electricity more effective at the same time.
As a result of normal use outlets may begin to wear down over time. As you plug and unplug different devices, the metal plugs are rubbing against the metal terminals. Sooner or later, all that pushing and pulling loosens the connections between the wires and the terminal screws just enough to cause a slight disconnect. When connections start to loosen, voltage can’t arc from the wire to the terminal and finally to the appliance as easily. This can lead to problems including a fire.
When Should I Have My Outlets Replaced
- When the outlet is warped, burnt, faulty, or damage
- When the outlet is old or not adequate for the voltage needs
- When the outlets are not grounded
- When the outlets that are near a water source are not GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter).
Outlets wear down over time from use. Every time you plug or unplug a device the metal plugs are rubbing up against metal terminals within the outlet over and over. Eventually, all that pushing and pulling can loosen the connections between the wires and the terminal screws. When connections start to loosen, the voltage can’t arch as easily. This can lead to all sorts of different problems including a fire.
Light Switch Replacement
Light switches are normally very durable components of your home, but like most everything else, they do not last forever. When a light switch finally wears out, an unseen fire hazard that puts your home and family at risk is created. There are several signs that will let you know your switch may be beginning to fail.
When Should I Have My Light Switch Replaced
Watch for these signs that are telling you it’s time to replace the malfunctioning light switch.
- Unusual sounds like popping, hissing, or cracking indicate that there is electricity arcing on the inside of the switch. This should be considered a serious hazard and must be dealt with immediately to prevent a fire.
- If the light switch is warm or hot to the touch this should be considered a serious hazard and must be dealt with immediately to prevent a fire.
- If it takes a few seconds after you flip the switch for the light actually turn on, then the switch is wearing out. This does not present a fire hazard, but it does indicate it is time to replace the light switch.
If you’ve noticed any of these situations with your light switch, then it’s definitely time for a replacement.
Give Apex Handyman Savannah GA a call to schedule your light electrical replacement service today, we’re here to help!